Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Salzburg


I was pretty embarrassed when we arrived in Salzburg and I realized I didn't actually know what language they spoke. Since our hotel was in the walking district, I had to ask for permission to enter, and I didn't know how to even say hello. Well, turns out they speak Bavarian German (of course!), and the greeting is 'Grüß Gott,' just in case you ever need to know. If you know how to pronounce this, please share.

Salzburg is an incredible city, the birthplace of Mozart and the Sound of Music. We toured the city in our typical haphazard fashion, bouncing from the Palace Gardens to the Modern Art Museum to the Augustiner Beer Garden...gotta love that juxtaposition. But, it was perfect.



This used to be plywood

We went with another couple, the Mettler's, who I think we will be doing a lot of traveling with. We have the same interests (good food, local drinks, and cheap fun) and the same obstacles (they have a sixteen month old daughter). Deciphering how to travel with kids is always fun.

You have to get your own mugs...

And what do you eat with your beer? Fish on a stick of course!

Alright, alright, or you can have brats, pork, pretzels, and pickles. Your call.


I missed my calling as a beer wench

I think that there should be a rating system for hotels that indicate
how accommodating they are toward toddlers. Can a pack 'n play fit in the bathroom? Is there a separate room, cause that would be even better. How thick are the walls? Bidets are a definite negative. I would even be willing to pay a fee for my kids. I am the first to admit, by not charging for kids under five, hotels are giving themselves the short straw. We left breakfast at our cozy little hotel in Salzburg and Carson had tainted enough food for a couple of adults, although I am not sure he actually ate any of it, we managed to break the booth, and Carson said 'ciao' to everyone in the dining room, nevermind that we were in Austria.

Bike parking is apparently at a premium

The famed Salzburg eggs...made of actual egg shells!


People actual wear this stuff! I kept wanting to tip them...don't think that would have gone over well though.

No comments:

Post a Comment